- 10-20 gallon fish tank, depending on how many you keep together. Provide soil or coconut bedding for digging as they spent the majority of their time buried. Artificial plants and a few rocks were provided.
- Chopped produce (lettuce, apple, banana, etc) They were also occasionally offered soaked dry dog food.
Notes on Enrichment & Training
Colony or Breeding Management
Notes species is housed or managed socially or for breeding purposes.
Dimorphism or practiced ways to individually mark species (such as those in colonies, like giant millipedes).
Tips on Presentation
Tips on Handling
- Pittsburgh: They are very small and not suited for larger groups. They will tolerate handling, but are difficult for students to see from any distance. Our largest was approsimately 4″ long and narrow. Handling is similar to other millipede species otherwise. About 1/2 of them preferred to stay curled up in a ball.
Comments from the Rating System
- Pittsburgh Zoo: Very small for programs.
Natural History Information
Range and Habitat
Texas, Arizona, New Mexico
Threats and Conservation Status
Did you know…
Any Documents to attach, species spotlights, etc.
- Check out sample animal policies, handling sheets, and fact sheets on our Example Policies & Guidelines page
- View past issues of Program Animal SAG Newsletters