- Open space without too many obstacles. Shelter from rain. They really like lying on heat pads in cold weather.
- Hay, herbivore pellets, fresh produce such as lettuce, yams, apples.
- Kangaroos in captivity are prone to tooth and mouth problems, often called lumpy jaw disease.
Notes on Enrichment & Training
Colony or Breeding Management
Tips on Presentation
Tips on Handling
- Climate change: Desert and Dryland species have specific adaptations for the temperature and water availability in their natural habitat and may not be able to adjust to the drying effects of climate change. Hotter conditions promote wildfires. More extreme drought conditions kill plants that hold the soil in place and occasional extreme rain events wash that soil away preventing them from growing back in a process called desertification. Greenhouse gas emissions from burning fossil fuels contributes to climate change by trapping heat in the atmosphere. Please ask guests to walk, bike, or take public transportation when possible and to reduce their use of fossil fuels when they do drive by buying a fuel economic car, carpooling, combining errands, and keeping vehicles properly tuned up and their tires properly inflated. At home and work, purchase Energy Star appliances, turn off lights when they are not in use, and use heaters and air conditioners sparingly. The principles of reduce, reuse, and recycle will also help by decreasing greenhouse gas emissions involved with the manufacture and disposal of unnecessary goods. http://www.unep.org/geo/gdoutlook/045.asphttp://www.epa.gov/climatechange/wycd/https://biomesfirst09.wikispaces.com/Desert+Conservationhttp://www.wildlifeadaptationstrategy.gov/pdf/Desert_Ecosystems_Paper.pdf
Comments from the Rating System
Natural History Information
Range and Habitat
Threats and Conservation Status
They are hunted for sport and population control. Dingos can predate on them. One of the biggest threats is automobiles.
Did you know…
Contributors and Citations
- Houston Zoo, Natural Encounters
- San Diego Zoo
Top Photo: By Taken byfir0002 | flagstaffotos.com.auCanon 20D + Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 L – Own work, GFDL 1.2, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=1394083